WELCOME TO HEALTH SERVICES!
SVUSD Health Services is committed to working together with students and parents.
Empowering them to become self-reliant, responsible, productive and healthy.
ABOUT SVUSD HEALTH SERVICES
The Health Services Department staff has one full-time credentialed school nurse. Each school site houses a health clerk who is trained in CPR, First Aid, and the procedures and guidelines of the Department. The Department also contracts a licensed Marriage, Family Therapist offering student assistance and support in making healthy decisions, coping with crisis, and resolving or managing problems that might influence success at school.
The school nurse provides the following to our students:
- Health education in the classroom
- Special Education health appraisals
- Drafts, performs, and monitors specialized medical procedures
- Monitors and/or consults with health clerks on emergencies at all school sites
- Home visits regarding health of child and/or attendance
- Serves on SARB (School Attendance Review Board) and District Safety and Health Committee
- Screenings for vision, hearing, scoliosis, communicable diseases, and follow-up
Our health clerks play a vital role at each school site, as well as within the Department:
- Audits and monitors immunization status
- Audits and monitors “physical” reports for school entrance
- Audits and monitors “Oral Health Assessment” for school entrance
- Performs specialized medical procedures
- Calls parents regarding health problems
- First Aid at school sites / maintains kits for classrooms
- Oversees the maintenance and locations of disaster bags
- Screenings; organizes, records results, and follow-ups
- Prepares reports for kindergarten immunization status, vision and hearing, scoliosis results, CHDP compliance, child abuse, and monthly service statistics
- Administers medication and maintains accurate records
- Provides a school health problem list / confidential
PARTNERSHIPS AND OUTSIDE SERVICES
Collaborative Partners include:
- Integrated Therapies, Inc., (Licensed Counseling Service)
- Soonhyuk Chang DDS
- Fort Irwin Weed Army Hospital/Mary Walker Clinic
- San Bernardino Department of Public Health
- Fort Irwin Dentac
- James Dallas, O.D.
- Barstow Lion's Club
- Barstow Shriner's Club
SVUSD HEALTH SERVICES CONTACT INFORMATION